[Insight-users] canny edge detector behaviour

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 29 18:07:27 EDT 2004

First, I strongly suggest reading up on how precisely the Canny filter
works. This should give you the tools to diagnose various problems with
it. See, for example: http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/hipr/html/canny.html or
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~weg22/can_tut.html (These are the first
two hits for "Canny edge" on Google.)

Now, have you set a threshold for the Canny edge detector? Basically,
what you're doing with the detector is first smoothing the image, then
looking for sharp edges. But since you smoothed, there is no longer a
single sharp edge, but a smooth gradient of edge.

If you don't set a threshold, there will be several concentric edges of
varying intensities in the smoothed image. So you need either to (a)
NOT smooth the image first, or smooth it a very small amount, or (b)
set a reasonable threshold value to prevent the secondary edges from
being traced out.

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine