[Insight-users] Multi-modal volume registration using mutual information

Luke khua1 at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 28 14:35:46 EDT 2004

Hi, Luis,

Thank for your reply!

I have read through the tutorial. It is very helpful.

I have a C++ program that register 3-D image using mutual information. You
claim that I can have reasonable registration in the order of one or two
minute for 200x200x200 image. However, my program would need a little bit
more than 1 hour to register 255x255x54 image to a template(on my 1.7GHz,
500MB laptop), which is unacceptable.

My program uses powell method(code from numerical recipes in c)  for
optimization. The mutual information is computed using histogram. And the
transformation matrix is affine transformation with 12 components.

I didn't see itk use powell method as the optimizer.  Would other
optimization method have same accuracy as powell?

How much time would itk take to register a 255x255x54 dataset with 12
componets affine transformation? Can I find some examples? I want to compare
before I decide to change my program to itk.

Thank for your help!

Best regards!

Luke