[Insight-users] Multi-modal volume registration using mutual information

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jun 24 18:20:57 EDT 2004

Hi Luke,

Yes,
There is a lot of support for Multi-Modality registration in ITK.

There are three different implementations of Mutual Information
in ITK. They are:

           - Viola & Wells
           - Mattes et al.
           - Histogram based

You will find the full list of Image Metrics in the Groups section
of the Doxygen documentation:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/group__RegistrationMetrics.html

Registration is not necesarily time consuming. It is a matter of
trade-offs. Usually you can get reasonable registrations in the
order of one or two minutes for volumes of size 200x200x200.

However, getting there requires that you fine tune the parameters
of the componentes involved in the registration process, and of
course that you select an appropriate combination of such components.

A simple way of checking if you really need registration is to
resample one image into the coordinate system of the other image
using an identity transform. Then computing the Difference between
the resampled image and the fixed image.  If you visualize such
image you will rapidly notice how much miss-registration exists
between the two.

You are strongly encouraged to read the Chapter on Image Registration
in the Software Guide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Chapter 8, pdf-page 241.

Mulit-Modality registration is discussed in section 8.4,
pdf-page 255.  You will find the associated source code
examples in the directory:

         Insight/Examples/Registration

You should also read the Tutorial sessions

          http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

In particular

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/RegistrationMethodsOverview.pdf

Please let us know if you have further questions.