[Insight-users] contours extraction

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Jun 19 10:33:23 EDT 2004

Hi Yann,

Thanks for your clarifications.
The processing that you suggest makes sense in that context.

However,

            Please note that processing pieces of contours is
a tricky business. It often leads to frustration, depression,
desperation, and in some critical cases it may even lead to
premature and sudden death of the image analyst     :-)

The biggest challenge with contours and edges is to have a
mathematically consistent definition of the elements that you
want to use. In this regard it is very important that you don't
use 4-connectivity or 8-connectivity. If you are decided to walk
the dark path of contour processing, do yourself a favor and start
by using 6-connectivity.

Before you start walking that dark path, you may want to consider
other approaches. For example, instead of displaying the edges
(good and bad ones) you could display the internal regions of cells
as colored regions, and allow an operator to select to contiguous
regions in order to fuse them. Note that this is equivalent to the
process of removing the edge separating these two regions, but it
prevent you from going through the pain of verifying the topological
properties of the contour.

I wonder if you have tried the Watershed algorithm in your cell
images. You may want to give it a try to the program in examples:

   Insight/Examples/Segmentation/
                       WatershedSegmentation1.cxx

Watersheds will give you a very ergonomic environment where
regions are defined at different water levels and then can be
selected by an operator in order to do a supervised refinement.
This will be much easier than dealing with contours.

Josh Cates did a detailed description of this algorithm in the
SoftwareGuide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In an interactive environment, you will run the filter once,
and then navigate through the tree structure of regions that
are generated by the filter.  Note that this filter is more
effective if you pre-process your images with any of the edge-
preserving filters described in the SoftwareGuide.

Please let us know if you have further questions,

    Thanks,

      Luis