[Insight-users] CableSwig Java status with ITK 1.6

Brian Eastwood beastwoo at email.unc.edu
Wed Jun 16 18:21:47 EDT 2004

Hi,

I've been working with ITK for a while now and am trying to develop a
GUI for some of the programs I've written.  Since I'm much better with
Java than C++, the new Java wrappings have been really attractive.

 From a previous post by Luis Ibanez:
"On the application design front, note that you don't really need full
ITK wrapping, and actually, most of the time you may not even want it.
It may be more efficient to build C++ modular classes that encapsulate
ITK pipelines. Then wrap these modular classes for being used from Java."

This sounds pretty ideal for me, but I'm getting lost setting up such an environment.  I would believe CableSwig would be great for automatically wrapping my C++ classes--is there documentation that describes how to set this up in a project outside of ITK?  I've been trying to use the ITK CVS code as an example and am having a hard time determining what configuration is really necessary.  If anyone has had success in setting up such a project, would they be willing to share some details?

Also, Luis mentioned "Jarek Sacha kindly contributed a mechanism for exporting/importing ITK images into Java native images."  Is that available yet?

Thanks in advance,
Brian Eastwood