[Insight-users] Measuring texture of objects

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 16 14:52:13 EDT 2004

Nick,

If you want to perform spatial autocorrelations, probably the easiest
thing to do is to perform the operation in the fourier domain. The
basic idea is that the fourier transform of the autocorrelation image
is the component-wise modulus of the fourier transform of the original
image. So generate the fourier coefficients of an image, then mulitply
each coefficient by its complex conjugate, and perform the inverse
transform.

I think that the ITK FFT filters might work, or you could use a
different FFT package.

However, there are other texture measurements that might be useful,
too. I recently submitted a class
(itkScalarImageToGreyLevelCoocurrenceMatrixGenerator) that computes a
Grey Level Co-occurrence Matrix for an image. Hopefully it will show up
in the CVS soon. GLCM's are used frequently in texture analysis (see:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~mhallbey/texture/texture_tutorial.html )

I plan in the near future to extend this class to work on masked images
-- currently it just works on entire requested regions. Additionally, I
hope to contribute a "texture coefficient calculator" class that will
calculate various texture parameters from an image, as described on the
above web page, and here:
http://www.cssip.uq.edu.au/meastex/www/algs/algs/algs.html )

That said, I don't yet have these methods written, so if you're in a
hurry, other methods might prove more useful. There's a lot of
information about texture (and everything else) here:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/CVonline/ -- use the search.

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine