[Insight-users] itk::Statistics::MahalanobisDistanceMembershipFunction

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jun 10 21:50:07 EDT 2004

Hi Lucas,

Your intuition is correct. The MahalanobisDistanceMembershipFunction
doesn't use the "NumberOfSamples" directly. You just need to set the
Mean vector and the Covariance matrix.  Then you are ready to invoke
the Evaluate() method.

The number of samples is used as a base value in case you incrementally
update the information regarding the Mean and the Covariance. For
example if you were using this in a classifier, where you use this
function in order to represent the distance to a class P.  As you add
samples to this class P, you could incrementatlly compute the mean and
variance without having to store the full vector of sample values.