[Insight-users] ITK to VTK Image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jul 28 16:25:45 EDT 2004

Hi Jacob,

This operation is very simple with ITK.

You just connect an ImageFileReader to
an ImageFileWriter. You code doesn't
have to make any mention of MetaImage
or VTK file formats. Just pass as input
a file with extension .mhd (or .mha) and
as output a filename with extension .vtk.

The IO Factory mechanism will do all the
magic for you.

In practice you can simply take the example

    Insight/Examples/IO/
             ImageReadWrite.cxx

That is described in the SoftwareGuide

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Chapter 7, pdf-page 219.

Eventually change the pixel type and image
dimension..., compile it and run it by
passing the input and output filenames
as command line arguments.