[Insight-users] Re: How to run .exe in unix or windows

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jul 26 15:23:44 EDT 2004

Hi Huss

You are building ITK with SHARED libraries.

Therefore you must add the directory where
those libraries are to the PATH.

In practice you don't gain much with building
ITK with Shared libraries since most of the
code is templated. The only good reason for
using Shared libraries is when you are wrapping
ITK for languages like Tcl, Python or Java.

Your best options now are:

1) Rebuild ITK with

       BUILDS_SHARED_LIBS = OFF

    to do this, first delete all the .dll
    libraries in the ITK binary directory.
    Then rerun CMake, and disable the variable
    above, then build ITK.

     OR

2) Add to your path the directory where
    the DLL ITK libraries are.

We *strongly* suggest you to do (1) instead of (2).

Also, Please read the Getting Starting Tutorial,
and the first chapter of the SoftwareGuide.

You could have avoided running into these
annoying details if you have followed the
step-by-step instructions given in the tutorial
and the SoftwareGuide for building ITK.

Tutorial:

http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm
http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStartedI-WebPage/img0.html