[Insight-users] compiling vtk with mingw or free VC++ Toolkit

Atwood, Robert C r.atwood at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jul 26 10:47:06 EDT 2004

I believe that the compiler used in Cygwin actually virtually the same
as the mingw compiler ( ported  version of gcc to win32) , however the
libraries used are different. I hesitate to go much farther with my
broken-telephone explanation, please check everything I say agains the
cygwin and mingw documentation, but I believe that if you compile with
pure mingw, it uses the existing Windows libraries whereas using cygwin,
it uses the cygwin versions of the Gnu libraries. The cygwin compiler
even has an extra flag -mno-cygwin to force the compiler to use the
windows libraries instead. Or something like that.

This has effects on the GPL status of your executable, which should only
matter if you are actally distributing the  executable, if I understand
correctly. Also 'no-cygwin' compiled objects should not require the
cygwin1.dll. But, if the program asks for objects that are expected int
the Gnu library, it might not find them in the windows libraries.

(eg I could not compile a fairly simple program straight away with mingw
due to drand48() not existing in Windows library)

I agree with Luis, that it would be easiest to just get Cygwin. The
caveat is that I have found that activity is so high on the Cygwin
project  that the versions of everythign keep changing faster than you
can download them :-0 and sometimes breaks your old stuff, and some free
software distributes its binaries including a cygwin1.dll version that
will conflict with the (newer) one you got from cygwin.com, and so on...
what you may expect from a popular open project.