[Insight-users] input for levelset segmentation algorithms

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jul 23 09:33:42 EDT 2004

HI Kai,

A simper way to do it is to smooth the binary image
using a Gaussian smoothing filter, and then rescale
the intensities to be between -0.5 and +0.5.

You can do this with the filters:

SmoothingRecursiveGaussianImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SmoothingRecursiveGaussianImageFilter.html

and

RescaleIntensityImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1RescaleIntensityImageFilter.html

Note that the level set does not have to be a distance
funcion from your contour. Smoothing with a large Gaussian
of large sigma may be good enough.

Note that Sigma in the filter above is expressed in physical
units (e.g. millimeteres) and not in pixels.

You will find descriptions of both filters in the SoftwareGuide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf