[Insight-users] Re: Re:filter

Ying Zhuge zhuge at mipg.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 22 16:33:24 EDT 2004

Hi Martino,

This filter is a little bit different from that paper you mensioned.

1. This filter is designed for vector-valued image at the beginning, but it
is suitable for scalar image also.
2. This filter is for relative fuzzy connected image segmentation, please
refer to IEEE PAMI paper pp. 1485-1500, 2002.

In the code, there is a member function called compute_scale() to estimate
the scale value of each pixel, and another member function
compute_affinity() to estimate both homogeneity and object-feature based
components. The implementation of homogeneity-based affinity is different
from the definition in that paper because if we do that way, it will take a
lot of computation time for vector-valued image. w(||c-e||) is a distance
weighting function. The closer pixel e to the center c, the bigger weight
number it has. In my implementation, I use the Gaussian as the weighting
function.

Hope it helps. Please let me know if you still have questions.

--Ying