[Insight-users] itk + vtk segmentation questions

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jul 22 15:41:44 EDT 2004

Hi Jacob,

1) There are multiple methods for constructing 3D data
    sets from a set of slices.

    In the case of the Visible Human, the simplest
    thing to do is to write a MetaImage header file.

    You will find instructions on how to do this in
    the Data link

           http://www.itk.org/HTML/Data.htm

    You will find one for the Visible Woman dataset in
    the ftp data repository:

ftp://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/Data/VisibleWomanHead/RawRGB/
ftp://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/Data/VisibleWomanHead/RawRGB/VisibleWomanHead.mhd

1.5) The reason why you don't find many examples on 3D
      segmentation in the Software Guide is because it
      was harder to find a way of presenting the results.

    However, almost all the segmentation methods in ITK
    are implemented for N-Dimensions. From the point of
    view of writing code, you can convert most of the
    examples in the software guide from 2D to 3D just by
    changing the template parameters of the Image type
    instantiation.

    You will find *many* examples in 3D segmentation in
    the InsightApplications checkout.

    In particular

      - RegionGrowing
      - FastMarchingLevelSet
      - ShapeDetectionLeveSet
      - GeodesicActiveContoursLeveSet
      - ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetFltkGui
      - Morphogenesis
      - SegmentationEditorFltkGui
      - DeformableModels
      - SNAP (Level Sets)
      - VolviewPlugins (many algorithms into VolView)
      - LiverTumorSegmentation

    Please look at the following page for description

      http://www.itk.org/HTML/Applications.htm

    The source code of InsightApplications can be downloaded
    in the same way that you downloaded "Insight".

2) You can use VTK for visualizing the scans from the
    Visible Human.  In practice, once you load the data
    set into an ITK image, then you can convert it into
    a vtkImageData and visualize it with VTK.

    You will find examples on this in

        InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk

3) Are you using Shared Libraries ?

    Did you built this example outside of the
    Insight tree ?

    What *exact* parameters did you passed in
    the command line when the example crashed ?

    Chances are that you are passing an inconsistent
    number (or values) of parameters to this example.

    Please post the exact command+arguments to the list.