[Insight-users] Question about SymmetricForcesDemonsRegistrat ionFilter and LevelSetMotionRegisrationFilter

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Thu Jul 15 10:08:13 EDT 2004

Corinne already answered the question about the SymmetricForcesDemons, so I
will answer the
LevelSetMotion question.

The level set motion paper referenced describes two separate PDE's.  The
first is used to evolve one
image towards another image where you are only interested in the "warped"
image as an output.  This is equation 8.

The second PDE is used to evolve one image towards another image where you
are interested in the
deformation field as an output. This is equation 9.

Only equation 9 is implemented.  To obtain an image similar to the result of
equation 8, you take the
output deformation field and an image an run them through a WarpImageFilter.
Doing this is not exactly
equivalent to solving equation 8.  The paper mentions that they have fully
analyzed the stability and solution
of equation 8 but have not completed the analysis of equation 9.

Equation 9 was implemented because it produces an output like the
implementaitons of Demons, i.e. a
deformation field.

Equation 23 is used to solve equation 8 and equation 27 is used to solve
equation 9.

Jim