[Insight-users] Re: Normalized Mutual Information Histogram ImageToImageMetric

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 13 14:55:57 EDT 2004

Hi Vineet,

The version of NormalizedMutualInformation implemented in
the class

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1NormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric.html

is

   [  H(A) + H(B) ] /  H(A,B)

and it is described in the book

   "Medical Image Registration"

by Hajnal, Hill, Hawkes.

The book can be consulted online at

   http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/d.hill/hhh/

this link is listed among many other
resource at the itk Documentation page

http://www.itk.org/HTML/Documentation.htm

The equation for the Normalized Mutual Information
implemented in ITK is shown as Eqn.(30) in Chapter 3.

   http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/d.hill/hhh/03/03.pdf

Note that once having this class, it is almost
trivial to implement also equations (28) and (29).

      Almost sounds like a good
      homework for an ITK course  :-)

We are adding this same information to the header
file of the class, so this should show up in
Doxygen tomorrow after the documentation is
regenerated overnight.

Please let us know if you have further questions,