[Insight-users] Re: reg similarity measure(deformable registration)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Jul 11 18:24:02 EDT 2004

Hi Dalal,

You can use Mutual Information in ITK in the
following two Deformable Registration methods:

   - FEM-Based deformable registration

   - BSplines deformable transform

--

Demons *does not* support Mutual Information since
from its very nature, it is an optical-flow based method,

Note that there is in fact a large family of algorithms
that belong to the Demons category. The two implementations
  that are available in ITK are based on the paper by
J.P. Thirion entitled "Fast Non-Rigid Matching of 3D Medical
Images", May 1995.

--

The example for BSplines was committed in CVS on april 19th 2004.
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Examples/Registration/DeformableRegistration4.cxx?root=Insight

Therefore you will not see this example in the ITK
source tree unless you use a recent CVS version of
ITK. You will certainly not find it in ITK 1.6.

The example was stabilized by May 22 2004, so you
will be safer if you download a CVS version posterior
to that date.

Note that ITK 1.8 is scheduled to be released in
August.

The difference between the code in the Testing directory
and the code in the Examples directory is that in Testing
most (if not all) of the class functionalities are exercised.
The test are not supposed to execute any useful functionality
in themselves, just make sure that the methods of the class
work as advertised.

The example, on the other hand, are didactic pieces of
code with abundant comments that show the simplest use
of the classes. Most examples can actually be used as command
line tools for solving real image processing tasks.  This is
the case for all the registration examples in

         Insight/Examples/Registration/

Whenever you have the option of learning from an example
and from a test, you should choose the example since it
was conceived as a teaching aid. Most testing programs
will actually look obscure to the newcomers.

The only example that requires parameter files is the
FEM-Based deformable registration. The parameter files
are in the directory

     Insight/Examples/Data/

That is explained in detail in the Chapter on image
registration (that you have not read yet) in the
SoftwareGuide

      http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Chapter 8, Section 8.12, pdf-page 318.