[Insight-users] how to use FEM in ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jul 9 11:37:25 EDT 2004

Hi Guorong

You will find some examples on the use of FEM for medical
image registration in the directory

        Insight/Examples/Registration

The theoretical principles behind the FEM implementation in
ITK are described in a chapter of the book "Insight into Images"
that will be available soon from A.K.Peters.

       http://www.akpeters.com/book.asp?bID=206

You may also find useful the tutorial sessions

    http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

in particular

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/NonRigidRegistrationMethods.pdf

Note that in most cases for image registration, FEM are not
used for modeling the real physics of the brain as a mechanical
material. Instead, we just take advantage of the natural
regularization provided by FEM when you model an hypothetical
elastic material.

Please let us know if you have further questions,

   Thanks,

      Luis