[Insight-users] Re: Question about CurvesLevelSet

Raul San Jose Estepar rjosest at bwh.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 23 08:52:57 EST 2004

Hi Luca,

CurvesLevelSets is intended to implements Lorigo's method to the best of
my knowledge.
As you pointed out the method is deeply based on Geodesic Active
Contours, however the smoothing term is done by minimal curvature
instead of mean curvature.

The minimal curvature process is implemented in itkLevelSetFunction
(method ComputeMinimalCurvature). The  minimal curvature term can be
turned on with UseMinimalCurvatureOn. This is done in
itkCurvesLevelSetFunction.h (line 118). The fact of having the minimal
curvature computation in itkLevelSetsFunction is to allow other methods
to use this resource. LevelSet methods devise to segment tiny or tubular
structures may prefer this curvature term, as can be your case.
The minimal curvature is computed by projecting the Hessian matrix in
the plane orthogonal to the levelset and then computing eigenvalues.
The reason of having  vnl/algo/vnl_symmetric_eigensystem.h in
itkCurvesLevelSetFunction.txx is for legacy given that initially the
minimal curvature was computed here. Later on it was decided to pass
this functionality to the parent class. Thanks for pointing out the
unnecessary of those header files.

I hope this help and let me know if you have further comments.

/Raul