[Insight-users] Problems with MultiResMiRegistration

José Ángel Tavira jat at navimetric.com
Fri Dec 17 08:06:43 EST 2004

Hi everyone

I am using the MultiResMiRegistration framework in order to registrate 2 medical studies (a CT study and a MR study).

The InsightApplications software offers an application using these components.

 * In particular, it uses the ITK registration framework with
 * the following combination of components:

 *   - MutualInformationImageToImageMetric
 *   - QuaternionRigidTransform
 *   - QuaternionRigidTransformGradientDescentOptimizer
 *   - LinearInterpolateImageFunction

This application has the next parameters to configure:

    moving image initial shrink factors
    fixed image initial shrink factors
    optimizer number of iterations
    number of multiresolution levels
    learning rates per level
    translation scales

And, finally, these are the set of values I use for them:

    moving image initial shrink factors       (4,4,1)
    fixed image initial shrink factors          (4,4,1)
    optimizer number of iterations             (2500)
    number of multiresolution levels          3,4 or 5
    learning rates per level                       1e-03 1e-04 1e-05 1e-06 1e-07, ...
    translation scales                              around 320 (1 or 2 orders lower and higher)

    The set of studies I'm working with, has the next parameters (or similar):

    CT Dimensions: 512 x 512 x 105 (x,y,number of slices)
    CT Resolutions: 0.7 x 0.7 x 1.25 (x,y,z)

   MR Dimensions: 256 x 256 x 120 (x,y,number of slices)
   MR Resolutions: 0.9 x 0.9 x 1.4 (x,y,z)

    I have made a lot of combinatios with the registration values described above but the registration still remains very, very inexact!!

Could anyone help me?  Do I have to configure any other parameters inside the ITK code?

Thank you very much in advance.

José.