[Insight-users] Advection Term for Level Sets

Joshua Cates cates at sci.utah.edu
Tue Dec 7 11:52:48 EST 2004

Hi,

The advection term refers to a vector-valued term in the "generic"
level-set equation implemented in ITK.  Different level-set methods
implement one or more of the terms in this generic equation.  The
particular threshold-based segmentation you refer to does not require this
term.  Some references are the "Insight Into Images" theory book (see ITK
website) and the classic Sethian "Level Set Methods and Fast Marching
Methods" text.  Also see the ITK Software guide.

hope this helps,

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute
 University of Utah
 http://www.sci.utah.edu/~cates