[Insight-users] RE: build my first ITK application problem

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:14:59 -0500

Hi Steve,

1) The ITK Examples in Insight/Examples will
    build with any of the compilers tested
    nightly on the Dashboard.

    This includes

    - Visual Studio 6.0, .NET, and .NET 2003
    - Intel Compiler in Linux and Windows
    - Borland 5.0 on Windows
    - Gcc on Cygwin
    - Gcc on Mac
    - Gcc on Linux
    - Gcc on Solaris
    - CC  on IRIX

    No changes are required in the code nor the
    CMakeLists.txt files in order to build the
    examples.

2) If you decide to not use CMake you will have
    to add the paths for searching header files
    and locating libraries.  It should be possible
    to do it...  but it will be just a waste of
    your time. It will take you a couple of days to
    do what you could easily achieve with CMake in
    less than an hour.

    You will probably enjoy more doing image processing
    than spending time typing long paths in the little
    text boxes of the VisualStudio IDE. If what you want
    is to build the applications in InsightApplications,
    the easy way to go is to use CMake. There are few
    hours left of 2003,.. use them wisely !

3) What you need to know about CMake and CMakeLists.txt
    files in order to create ITK applications is explained
    in the SoftwareGuide
    http://www . itk . org/ItkSoftwareGuide . pdf
    and the ITK tutorial sessions
    http://www . itk . org/HTML/Tutorials . htm

    If you plan to use advanced CMake features
    you may want to get the CMake book from
    Kitware's electronic store or fromn Amazon.
    http://www . kitware . com/products/cmakebook . html

Please let us know if you have further questions,