[Insight-users] WSTITK use too much memory

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 17:00:47 -0500

Hi Wen,

What kind of image are you prodiving as input ?

You may want to apply some smoothing to the input image
before attempting to use the watershed algorithm.

Any of the edge-preserving filter could be a good option.
Try for example the CurvatureFlowImageFilter.

What may be happening is that your image have high
spatial frequencies. If this is the case, the Watershed
analysis will finds small basins everywhere and will get
overloaded with the number of small details. Trying to
keep track of miriads of basis may be the reason for the
memory overload.

Applying any smoothing should prevent this basin
proliferation from happening.

Examples on the use of the Edge-preserving filters
can be found under

     Insight/Examples/Filtering

- CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.cxx
- CurvatureFlowImageFilter.cxx
- GradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.cxx

You may even use the executables of these examples for
filtering your input image. These examples read the
image from a file and write the output down to a file.

Please let us know if you find further problems.