[ITK-dev] Problems with Change in itkStaticConstMacro

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Thu Jan 21 16:45:42 EST 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Bradly Lowekamp <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
> Gcc 4.2 runs into the same ITK bug with explicit instantiation too.
>
> On Jan 21, 2016, at 3:35 PM, Matthew McCormick (thewtex)
> <matt at mmmccormick.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Bradly Lowekamp <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov>
> wrote:
>
> It’s certainly would be great if I could rely on using gcc 4.8+ for building
> the distributions for SimpleITK. But my understanding for several situations
> 4.1 is still essentially required.
>

> What are the situations?  GCC 4.1 is not required by PEP 513.
>

> Anaconda Python 2.7, OSX Python.org distribution and OSX system, need
> apple’s gcc 4.2

How is this build environment reproduced (OSX and XCode version)?

> Your blog post solution for static linking in un-accetable as I don’t want
> to use a GPL license. Along with static linking not being recommended with
> PEP 513, and lastly it can cause conflicts when used in a loaded module with
> an older libc version.
>

> My blog post does not say static linking is required or the GPL is required.
>

> "Statically linking libstdc++ avoids version compatibility issues.”
>
> Statically, linking an LGPL library such as libstdc++ is “messy”.

libstdc++ is different from glibc.

Statically linking libstdc++ in terms of the license is fine.  It is
available with the GCC Runtime Library Exception:

  https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/license.html

> PEP 513 clearly says:
>
> GCC <= 4.2.0
>

> This excludes GCC 4.1.
>

> 4.1 <= 4.2, so it’s included.

This excludes GCC 4.1 from being a requirement.  GCC 4.2 would work.

Matt