[Insight-developers] Testing patches on all platforms

Padfield, Dirk R (GE Global Research) padfield at research.ge.com
Tue Jul 2 12:05:27 EDT 2013

Hi Matt,

That makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification!

Given that patches are often reviewed over the course of many days, would there be a way to include their testing in the nightly builds as well?  This would enable us to ensure that, once the patch is merged, the dashboard will still be green.  As it is, we don't know that the patch will cause problems on some architectures until it is merged and wreaks havoc, at which point there is a mad dash to try to fix the problem to make the dashboard green again.  It seems a bit backwards given that we could have access to the same information before the merge.

Here is one example.  Let's say I have a filter that has a tolerance parameter that enables me to tune the required accuracy of the output result.  I don't want to set this tolerance too high because then errors will get through.  So I set it relatively low.  The continuous builds are fine with it, so the patch is merged.  Then I find that it doesn't pass on some other architecture.  So I loosen the tolerance a bit, submit a new patch, wait for it to get merged (after being reviewed by multiple people again), and then find that the tolerance is still too strict!  I go through this loop of change tolerance, submit patch, merge patch, cry when I see the dashboard multiple times until the dashboard is green.  It would be a lot easier to get this information before merging and then merge once.

Thanks,
Dirk