[Insight-developers] Experiences with ITK Remote modules

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Tue Jan 15 13:31:19 EST 2013

Hi Bill,
+1 on your experience and suggestions.

Remote module is indeed a convenient and quick way to bring in new
contributions into ITK! Thanks to Matt!

It would be great to introduce a remote module template  into the Insight
Journal Submission process, so that each  IJ code  submission is wrapped
into an ITK module and can be fetched during the  CMake configuration time
when building ITK.    We have documented how to construct an ITK module
in   the tutorial (
http://insightsoftwareconsortium.github.com/ITKBarCamp-doc/ITK/ConstructITKModule/index.html)
,
we just need to add this additional remote CMake file to enable the fetch.
  I am planning to work on this, will keep you posted in terms of progress.

Just want to clarify  a little bit about different between the remote
modules and external modules: We used to call  modules distributed
separately from the ITK repo as "External" modules. Now we are supporting
the "fetch" feature,  we use "Remote" modules to emphasis the new feature.

"Modules/External" is therefore merely a place holder for local module
testing. If this causes confusion  ( I assume it does) with the remote
modules, there is no reason to keep it.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am working on two remote modules for ITK. Here is a summary of my
> experience:
>
> 1) It is a great way to integrate external contributions.
> 2) The process is simple.
>
> Process suggestions:
> 1) Remote modules should set EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL in the itk_module.
> Without this, there is no way to disable the remote module, once it is
> fetched.
> 2) We might consider removing Modules/External. I don't see much of an
> advantage to having it.
> 3) We should advertise it more. It only requires adding one file to
> Modules/Remote to integrate small and large contributions.
>
> I was able to add an Insight Journal article (with one class) and the
> ITK Wiki Examples (with almost 300 examples) as Remote modules with
> very little effort.
>
> Bill

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124