[Insight-developers] Experiences with ITK Remote modules

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:40:32 EST 2013

Folks,

I am working on two remote modules for ITK. Here is a summary of my experience:

1) It is a great way to integrate external contributions.
2) The process is simple.

Process suggestions:
1) Remote modules should set EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL in the itk_module.
Without this, there is no way to disable the remote module, once it is
fetched.
2) We might consider removing Modules/External. I don't see much of an
advantage to having it.
3) We should advertise it more. It only requires adding one file to
Modules/Remote to integrate small and large contributions.

I was able to add an Insight Journal article (with one class) and the
ITK Wiki Examples (with almost 300 examples) as Remote modules with
very little effort.

Bill