[Insight-developers] Why are headers in Modules/NonUnit/Review/include not installed when ITK_USE_REVIEW is on?

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Thu Aug 15 11:26:24 EDT 2013

Yup, this is the bug we are addressing in the patch (
http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/12259/).

And removing ITK_USE_REVIEW will make things less confused:
http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/12260/

Will merge the patches soon.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Williams, Norman K <
norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:

> OK so this seems to make a difference: In addition to setting
> ITK_USE_REVIEW, I set Module_ITKREVIEW on the command line for the initial
> cmake.
>
> I notice also that if you run CMake a second time in the ITK build tree,
> it turns on installing review headers.
>
> So given how things appear to work, the business in the top-level
> CMakeList.txt here:
>
> if (ITK_USE_REVIEW)
>   set(Module_ITKReview ON)
> endif()
>
> That doesn't work for some reason; probably because this happens before
> the Module macros run and enumerate through the ITK directory tree to
> discover the Modules to build and install.
>
> This is a strange CMake chicken & egg thing:  I believe the top level code
> has the above clause, which sets a non-cache variable, but then lower down
> it does this:
> option(Module_${itk-module} "Request building ${itk-module}" OFF)
>
> But then in Modules/NonUnit/Review/CMakeLists.txt there's this rather
> forlorn, useless command:
> set(ITK_USE_REVIEW ON)
>

> So maybe in the next release remove ITK_USE_REVIEW because it's a relic of
> ITK 3 and doesn't effing work right.  Or figure out how to telegraph into
> the Module enumeration logic that it should consider the module on.
>
> --
> Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
>

> On 8/15/13 9:44 AM, "Matt McCormick" <matt.mccormick at kitware.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Kent,
> >
> >We are in the process of deprecating ITK_USE_REVIEW due to incorrect
> >and complicated interaction with the Module_ITKReview variable.  Are
> >you observing this behavior with recent master?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Matt
> >
> >On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Williams, Norman K
> ><norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:
> >> I don't have time to read through all of the CMake magic involved in ITK
> >> Modularization, so I'm hoping someone on the list knows what's up: Some
> >> projects that succeed when built against an ITK build tree fail when
> >>built
> >> against an ITK install, because they use headers from Review.  For
> >>example
> >> itkLabelGeometryImageFilter.h
> >>
> >> Is there something that is suppressing the installation of the
> >> NonUnit/Review stuff?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
> >>

> >> ________________________________
> >> Notice: This UI Health Care e-mail (including attachments) is covered
> >>by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is
> >>confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended
> >>recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination,
> >>distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
> >>Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error,
> >>then delete it.  Thank you.
> [...]

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124