[Insight-developers] Why are FFTW CMake variables different?

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Tue Dec 18 11:25:53 EST 2012

I think you're exactly right.  Those variables are named the way they are
because when I chose those names USE_<something> names were all over the
place. As we've all progressed as developers and refined the conventions
used in ITK, things like that have gone away.

I see no reason not to change this to make it consistent.  As far as
'backwards compatibility' -- we promise code compatibility not CMake
compatibility.  Since FFTW is not on by default, someone has to go looking
when they run CMake for the FFTW variables to turn on. They'll find them
whether they're properly prefixed ITK_ or not.

And that little snippet of CMake code is something I never thought about.
CMake programming sure can be powerful.  At this point we could probably
re-write ITK in CMake.