[Insight-developers] CMake variable name inconsistencies

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Mon Oct 3 10:14:19 EDT 2011

I was unaware until I was trying to evaluate this question how extensive
the use of ITKV3_COMPATIBILITY is.

This is a concern, since it complicates migration, creating 3 types of
migration issues:

1. Things an end user has no choice but to change to accommodate
2. Things that will continue to work more or less as they did in V3 with
ITKV3_COMPATIBILITY turned on
3. Things that work more or less the same as V3.

Case #2 is very problematic because it is a way in which the ITK
consortium is NOT making a clean break.  In essence, there's a collection
of sub-optimal behaviors we'll be saddled with maintaining at least until
ITKV5.  And it adds a dimension to the configuration phase space.  Are we
going to want to preface every post answering a question on ITK-users with
'do you have ITKV3_COMPATIBILITY turned on?'

Of course, getting rid of it entirely at this point will probably make
ITK4 stop working in Slicer.

I don't have a solution for this,  it just was making my stomach churn
this morning.