[Insight-developers] Fwd: [ITK 0012186]: itkBSplineDeformableTransform throws error when enabling multithreading

Nicholas Tustison ntustison at gmail.com
Thu May 26 09:15:32 EDT 2011

Thanks, Wes, I appreciate it. I'm a bit confused, though.  The bug report is for
the class itkBSplineDeformableTransform but you mention the class
itkBSplineScatteredDataPointSetToImageFilter.  Also, the Mantis bug reports
problems with number of threads where you're reporting the number of levels
for the latter filter is the problem.  Could you clarify?

Thanks,
Nick

On May 26, 2011, at 8:49 AM, Wes Turner wrote:

> [...]
> Nick
>

> On May 20, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Wes Turner wrote:
>
>> Nick,
>>
>> I am having a similar issue, but I haven't had an opportunity to look into it yet.  I expect that this is easy to replicate given that I am at least the third person to run into the problem.  I think that if you use an arbitrary image, pull it into  itkBSplineDeformableTransform, choose a relatively large number of spline points and a level >1, you will quickly find it.  Right now I am on travel, but if you have problems replicating the issue, I can work with you to get a failure case when I get back ... Monday possibly.
>>
>> - Wes
>>
>> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Nicholas Tustison <ntustison at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi developers,
>>
>> I have been assigned the following bug but I'm skeptical that the issue is really a bug
>> as described.  Is there a mechanism on Mantis for requesting more input (e.g. code) from the
>> person who reported the bug?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nick
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Mantis Bug Tracker <mantis at public.kitware.com>
>>> Date: May 19, 2011 4:33:11 PM EDT
>>> To: ntustison at wustl.edu
>>> Subject: [ITK 0012186]: itkBSplineDeformableTransform throws error when enabling multithreading
>>>

>>> The following issue has been ASSIGNED.
>>> ======================================================================
>>> http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12186
>>> ======================================================================
>>> Reported By:                Erik Türke
>>> Assigned To:                Nick Tustison
>>> ======================================================================
>>> Project:                    ITK
>>> Issue ID:                   12186
>>> Category:                   ITK
>>> Reproducibility:            always
>>> Severity:                   crash
>>> Date Submitted:             2011-05-12 07:53 EDT
>>> Last Modified:              2011-05-19 16:33 EDT
>>> ======================================================================
>>> When enabling multithreading in itk and set the number of threads > 1, the
>>> itkBSplineDeformableTransform throws an error saying:
>>>
>>> itk::ExceptionObject (0x24efee0)
>>> Location: "void itk::BSplineDeformableTransform<TScalarType, NDimensions,
>>> VSplineOrder>::SetParameters(const typename itk::Transform<TScalarType,
>>> NDimensions, NDimensions>::ParametersType&) [with TScalarType = double, unsigned
>>> int NDimensions = 3u, unsigned int VSplineOrder = 3u]"
>>> File:
>>> /scr/morse1/programming/src/ITK/Modules/Core/Transform/include/itkBSplineDeformableTransform.txx
>>> Line: 354
>>> parameters size 19728016 and expected number of parameters 1536
>>>
>>> If you set the number of threads to 1 it works perfectly.
>>> I encountered this error with the ITK release 3.20 (review code) as well.

>>> 2011-05-19 16:33 Hans Johnson   Assigned To               => Nick Tustison