[Insight-developers] SimpleITK: N4MRIBiasFieldCorrection

Nicholas Tustison ntustison at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:40:32 EDT 2011

Hi Brad,

For SimpleITK, I think those are great suggestions.  I agree that returning only
the bias corrected image would be sufficient and I would also assign the number
of fitting levels based on the number of iterations so that you can remove the
option 'numberOfFittingLevels' from the command line.  And I would also agree
that specifying the optional weight image would complicate things unnecessarily
for the SimpleITK user.  Just specifying a binary mask should be sufficient for
most cases.

Also, one thing that is crucial to N4's performance that you might want to keep in
mind, at least for brain images, is that the "spline distance"  or number of control
points really affects performance.  Typically, we would set the initial spline distance to
something like 200 mm and then have the number of iterations be something like
50x50x50x50.  So you would have 50 iterations at 200 mm, 50 iters. at 100 mm, 50 iters. at
50 mm, and 50 iters. at 25mm.  If you specify the B-spline mesh using the number
of control points, you might want to start with 4 control points in each dimension and
then have the number of iterations default to 50x50x50x50.  A single level of 50 iterations
is probably too weak to have much of an effect.

Nick