[Insight-developers] RecursiveMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter -- questions about fixing bug 8482

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Mar 25 13:31:56 EDT 2009

I don't have an opinion about whether ImageSpacing should be used in these
filters.  I didn't even know what a MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter was
used for until this morning, when I read the comments in the header.

So to summarize, Tom thinks neither filter should use ImageSpacing for
smoothing. Currently the RecursiveMulti... filter does not, but the
MultiResolution... filter does.

So the choices are

1. Maintain the status quo (which is inconsistent).
2. Make the two consistently use image spacing (which Tom thinks is wrong in
both cases).
3. Make the two both NOT use image spacing for smoothing (which 'breaks
backward compatibility' w.r.t. the MultiRes...Filter).

I think in the long run choice 3 is the best, if in fact using image spacing
when smoothing is the Wrong Thing To Do.  Failing that, we need to add a
flag on the filter so that the behavior can be turned off for users like
Tom, who don't want it.