[Insight-developers] Improving support for color in ITK

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 12:31:58 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Dan Mueller<dan.muel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ITK developers,
>
> There are segmentation tasks which require different image color
> spaces. As I need to perform (supervised statistical) classification
> on color images (digitized pathology images), I intend to improve
> support for non-RGB color spaces in ITK. My ultimate goal is a
> submission to the Insight Journal consisting of various
> classes/filters for converting to/from various color spaces. However,
> before I go too far, I would appreciate some thoughts/suggestions from
> more experienced ITK developers.

A couple of things you may want to consider too (coming from the DICOM world).

YBR to RGB in integer is a lossly conversion. Same goes for opposite transformation. There is no way to specify whether an itk::Image has been degraded or not, once it is in memory.
You may want to take into accound min-is-black vs min-is-white, which is used in both DICOM and TIFF specification (aka MONOCHROME1 vs MONOCHROME2).

Do not forget to define metric used on image from two different color space.

Ref for GDCM:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gdcm/index.php?title=Color_Space_Transformations

2cts
--