[Insight-developers] dicom time series

Iván Macía imacia at vicomtech.org
Fri Feb 13 04:19:33 EST 2009

Dear Richard,

In order to distinguish 3D images from 2D+t time series we usually check
Image Position Patient. Same Image Position Patient (and Image Orientation
Patient of course) means it is a time series. I have not worked with MR
Phase Contrast myself but other dynamic MR sequences (3D+t) from Siemens
have Temporal Position Identifier (0020,0100) and Number of Temporal
Positions (0020,0105) DICOM tags. Note that these are optional. Otherwise,
you may have a look at some other tags like Acquisition Time or Acquisition
Group but usually it is difficult to find a rule that works for most
vendors.

DicomWorks software has a nice functionality that shows you which DICOM tags
vary among the images of the same series so you can have a look to see if
any of those is valid to identify the different groups you need.

HTH

Ivan