[Insight-developers] [Insight-users] Endian and Apple Universal Binaries Problems

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Oct 9 14:09:45 EDT 2008

On 10/9/08 1:47 PM, Bradley Lowekamp said:

>Are there any apples on the dashboard that are built using cross
>compilation and then emulation of the other architecture? I can't seem
>to find one. It would have to be a INTEL that emulated PPC during
>execution.

Not that I know of.  I would love to see one.  Alas, our 3 build
machines are already fully used about 22 hours per day. :(  And running
the unit tests in rosetta would be very slow I imagine.  I did this
successfully with a CMake dashboard, and it was slow.

Although cmake can build universal binaries, ctest has no particular
support for them.  It would be great if a dashboard could 1) build
universal and 2) run the tests for each supported architecture.  With an
64-bit Intel Mac you could test 3 of the 4 architectures (Rosetta does
not support ppc64).

I have request exactly this here:
<http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=6157>

>was wrong. I have a couple of mini's from NLM on the dashboard too,
>manly for Xcode, but I could add one building the "ppc" architecture
>if this is not covered already.

Intel minis?  Give it a try.  I'm curious to know if it could run all
the unit tests in Rosetta in less than 24 hours. :)

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com