[Insight-developers] Test framework

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Tue Dec 30 16:12:10 EST 2008

Hi Bill,

I try to stay out of the obsolete compiler debate, but let me
throw in a few thoughts related to the testing framework.

First, although the googletest README claims you need Visual Studio
7.1, did anyone try using an older version?  Maybe Google simply
hasn't tested older versions?  Or maybe the bits that fail to
build with VS6 won't affect the testing we need to do and can
simply be #ifdef'd out?

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 01:21:30PM -0500, Bill Lorensen wrote:

> Now, as we try to increase the coverage of our testing from 80% of the
> code to an even higher percentage, we are considering test frameworks
> that will make our job as developers easier. It is possible, that the
> test framework we choose will not compile on all of our supported
> platforms. But, since this will make our job as developers easier, we
> feel that you, as a customer, should follow our lead.
>
> So, if you use the Microsoft VS6 of VS7 compilers, you will need to
> upgrade to a newer version.

That's not strictly true.

Firstly, as someone mentioned, ITK 3.10 will now and forever build all
its tests with VS6.  Someone who isn't changing compilers may not be
changing ITK either.

Secondly, the proposal on the table is to introduce a TESTING
framework.  If it doesn't work with VS6, then SOME TESTS will not run
on VS6.  I am not proposing to change requirements on library code: it
will continue to work on VS6.  There is no need for a customer to
upgrade their compiler.

Best Regards,
-Steve