[Insight-developers] Test framework

Hans Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Tue Dec 30 15:03:11 EST 2008

All,

Removing VS6 & 7 (or changing from cmake 2.4 to 2.6) from future version of
ITK does not require anyone to change their environment.

ITK 2.0 will still compile with cmake version 1.8 and visual studio 6.  If
the customer has a working product, it will continue to work.

ITK 3.10 will always compile with vs6 and CMAKE 2.4 now and for all time in
the future.

======

There is code that I'd like to contribute, but won't because partial
specialization is not supported (and I've got no funding to re-write it).
If it were possible to lower barrier for developers, then there would be
more willingness to collaborate (add tests, add algorithms, add performance
improvements).

======

The previous e-mail only highlights the negative effects of removing VS6/7
support and does not recognize that there can also be positive effects.

======  WARNING:  extremely bias statements made below  ======
Dear ITK volunteer developers,

We thank you for the many hours you have volunteered to make ITK a better
toolkit for advancing the field of medical image processing.  We recognize
that you are always looking for ways to improve performance, testing, and
reliability of the toolkit.

Please keep in mind that your contributions ( algorithms/testing
methods/performance improvements/...) are only valuable if they conform a
limited subset of the C++ standard defined by the intersection of supported
features of any previously supported compilation platform.

There is currently no plan to remove this requirement in the foreseeable
future, so please re-write your code, hoard it in your own private
environment, or find some other venue for your improvements.

--For those developers who are heavily invested in using DICOM data sets, we
will not be upgrading to the GDCM 2.0 library due to the reluctance of it's
developers to rewrite major parts of that platform to conform to ITK.
--For those developers who have working algorithms that depend on (existing
freely available algorithm i.e. BOOST...), you will need to rewrite your
code because it will not work with ITK.
--For those developers who've found ways to simplify the burden of testing
by using existing testing frameworks, please rewrite them .
--For those developers ...

I realize that this is very biased, and I don't even agree with all the
statements made, but I thought that someone needed to defend the other side
of the argument a bit.

Good Day ;)
Hans
PS:  I'll still be using an contributing to ITK even with this requirement.