[Insight-developers] Streaming with ImageWriter and IORegion

Stephen Aylward Stephen.Aylward at kitware.com
Mon Dec 29 12:10:03 EST 2008

Hi,

We use metaIO streaming reading and writing fairly heavily in several
apps.   Please let me know if you find problems or if you need any help.
Several people have been adding features in the past year or so, and I fear
a bit of feature creap and bad coding might have arisen.   Might be time for
some house cleaning.

My recent changes were to fix memory leaks, to improve reporting regarding
when streaming is or is not supported, and to fix a bug when attempting to
read a stream equal to the size of the entire image.

Also, note that changes to MetaIO cannot be committed directly to Insight.
It is a locked directory in the CVS repository because MetaIO in ITK and VTK
share the same code which exists in a public svn repository:
https://www.kitware.com:8443/svn/KWPublic/trunk/MetaIO

Changes made to the svn repository are automatically (and nearly instantly)
distributed to ITK and VTK.   It is a wonderfully unique opportunity to
annoy a huge number of open-source developers in a wide range of fields with
a single check-in :)

Stephen

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Bradley Lowekamp
<blowekamp at mail.nih.gov>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I submitted MetaImageIO  as bug #8333. The streaming pipeline is working
> just fine; MetaIO is just failing to read it under these conditions. I am
> going to commit the compare for itkMetaImageStreamingWriterIOTest2 to verify
> that is just not a weird mac issue. Then I will try to track it down if it's
> a cross platform issue. I am also just discovering some problems with mhd vs
> mha files too. I'm going to have to look at the interaction of a few things
> here... Not sure what's going on...
> These problems are orthogonal to the posted enhancement though. Please let
> me know what else you need for this enhancement.
>
> Brad
>
> On Dec 27, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Luis Ibanez wrote:
>
> Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
>
>    Thirdly, before I left work for the holiday, I had an idea what the
>  cause of itkMetaImageStreamingWriterIOTest2 not producing the correct
>  results. I think that MetaImageIO, streaming functionality does not  work
> with non-square voxels. But I need to look into this further to  be certain.
> I was planning on doing this on Monday.
>
> Brad
>
> -------------------------
>
> Hi Brad,
>
> I don't quite see why pixel spacing would interfere in any way with
> the process of streaming the pixel data.
>
> As far of the streaming process is concerned, the pixel data is simply
> an array of bytes...
>
> It is more likely that other factors may be involved in this problem.
>

>   Luis

> Bradley Lowekamp
>
> Lockheed Martin Contractor for

> National Library of Medicine