[Insight-developers] Typeless C++ Layer

Kent Williams kent at psychiatry.uiowa.edu
Tue Jun 13 10:08:26 EDT 2006

I have worked on a version of this problem, namely using ITK to read in
a file of arbitary pixel format and dimension, and copying it into the
internal Brains2 image object.

The basic problem is that non-templated code needs to call templated
code, programmatically.  I've handled this with template functions,
templated by the image type. Then, a non-templated function uses a
switch statement to select the proper templated image type to use.

That's all well and good for my particular application, which is
essentially back-fitting ITK Image IO onto an existing program's
internal structures.  What you're proposing is more general -- a sort of
'Easy ITK' that makes programs less template-dependent.

The real problem you will run into is this: If you extend your new
programmatic interface to cover filters in a general way, your program
will be expanding templates for many permutations of image types, which
will invariably lead to significant code bloat.  You end up with
functions templated over both dimension and pixel type, producing many
elaborations of each template.  If you build itkWish with all types
enabled, you end up with a program with a huge memory footprint, that
takes all day to build on a fast dual Xeon.

I suppose ultimately the code bloat doesn't matter that much -- only the
pages of code actually touched will get loaded into real memory, but it
seems like overkill.  But carrying around code that never gets called
violates my sense of programming aesthetics, if nothing else.

I would suggest a slightly different strategy. Choose a limited number
of pixel data types for the filter classes: Int and Float, and 3D pixels
of float. That way, you convert between the image type of your generic
image object to the most information-preserving datatype for processing
by filters.

Ultimately, though, I'm not sure that hiding ITK's templated nature is
really a good thing.  In terms of using the toolkit, the learning curve
for working with templates is not that high.  Part of ITK's attraction
after all is that you _don't_ consider every data type --you chose the
template types that fits your problem best. An ITK program that does
significant processing using C++ templates directory can be quite small,
and is subject to quite agressive optimization by a decent C++ compiler.

Also there is already a fairly simple interface to ITK that works quite
generally over most common datatypes, namely, to use Tcl or Python wrapping.