[Insight-developers] Prefixes in CVS: ENH: FIX: ERR: DOC: BUG: STYLE: : Tcon topic ?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:53:48 -0500

Hi,

We have noticed that our practice for adding prefixes
to the CVS commits have been deriving away from the
politically correct prefixed defined in the style
guide as stated in:

  Insight/Documentation/InsightDevelopersStart.pdf

This is probably a good moment for making a revision
of this defined prefixes and make some resolutions
for the new year.

Common prefixes used now are:

- ENH:
- FIX:
- BUG:
- ERR:
- DOC:
- STYLE:

a log of the cvs repository will probably bring others
to the list.

Should we discuss this on the Tcon ? or should be just
composed a 'de facto' standard for prefixes

Any suggestions ?

A note on the side:

One of the topics discussed during our talk with the
FDA was the importance of keeping track of changes made
to the code. We seem to have all the tools for satisfying
FDA requirements but probably lack some of the formalism
they would like to see.

For example, we should be systematically logging bugs in
GNATS and only after logging them, go to the code and fix
them.  Our cvs commits of the code should include the GNATS
bug identifier. In this way, anybody could track the if the
appropriate procedure has been followed for addressing a
known problem in the software.

   Luis