[Insight-developers] Buildflags for producing flaky executables

Hans Johnson hans-johnson@uiowa.edu
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 10:39:31 -0600

Brad,

The itkSystemInformationTest that you added is VERY useful.  The only
problem that I see is that it is buried in a non-intuitive place.  In
addition, only the developers who read yesterdays message addressed to
me would know that this information exists.

I think that this information should also be available on the main
testing page.  For example, if you were to click on the buildname, then
that would take you directly to this set of information.  I thought that
this was what the cfg field of the dashboard was for (by the way, what
is the current cfg information useful for?).

I had several problems when I first started using ITK because I did not
know what compiler flags were being used for the testing.  It was very
discouraging to see an IRIX64 machine with almost all green, and a
checkout of the same version would not even compile.  In fact, I did not
know how to figure that out until your e-mail yesterday.

If this information were in an obvious place from the main testing page,
then new developers using the CVS version of ITK could goto the
dashboard, find a similar machine to their own with all green marks, and
have some confidence that those compiler flags would work (or even more
important if they will fail).

I have almost finished working the kinks out of submitting 8 nightly
builds.  These will be for 4 different compilers (icc, gcc2, gcc3,
MipsPro) in 2 different modes (DEBUG~"-g -Wall", FAST~"-O3
-takeforevertocompile -useoptimizedmathlibs").  I have found that most
testing is done in DEBUG mode with the assumption that compiler
optimizations will not change the results.  This is usually true, and
can easily be made true (by adding parenthesis or explicitly reordering
the code) once the developer determines where these differences occur.

Again, thank you for adding this!

Thanks,
Hans