[Insight-developers] LaTeX style for Documentation

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:53:48 -0400

Luis,

These documents look pretty good.  I have one suggestion.  Its been about 4 years since I used LaTeX
so there may be a newer way to do this:

These current styles use the "times" package which uses standard postscript fonts instead of the
computer modern fonts.  This is the best option for producing professional looking output.  (It has
an added benefit that times is a little smaller than cmr.  This is key when you are trying to fit a
paper into a page limit.) However, the "times" package does not replace the fonts that are used for
mathematics.  So standard resolution dependent TeX fonts are used in all the equations.  This looks
rather ugly.

What I used to do in my latex files was

\usepackage{t1enc}
\usepackage{newlfont}
\usepackage{epsfig}
\usepackage{times} % replace all TeX fonts with Postscript fonts
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{pifont}
\usepackage{mathptm}
\usepackage{xspace}
\usepackage{fancyheadings}

I think the key packages here are the "mathptm" package and "pifont" package.  These replace the
TeX's standard math fonts with postscript fonts (mostly from the symbol font).  I can't recall
whether "amsmath" was needed or not. I have used the above for formatting my thesis and for technical
papers and don't recall missing any constructs (but I was using mostly summations and matrix
representations).

Anyway, using this collection of packages replaced all the equation fonts with postscript fonts (just
like the times package replaces the computer modern font with times/helvetica).

Do you know if there is a "new" way to use postscript fonts for formatting equations instead of TeX
fonts?