[IGSTK-Users] How to make complete use of VTK in IGSTK?

jochen17 at hushmail.com jochen17 at hushmail.com
Fri Oct 21 02:53:24 EDT 2011

Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to developing with IGSTK and especially new to this
mailing-list, so hello everybody! My goal is to write some
visualizations, that would help a surgeon identify critical
objects, by highlighting them in the 3D scene. Since I want to
explore the advantages of different methods for highlighting I want
to write several different visualizations for the same objects and
compare them. Because of this, I have a question about using VTK
with IGSTK.

IGSTK uses SpatialObjectRepresentation classes to draw elements on
the screen, it therefore uses the VTK framework. Also, IGSTK
provides very basic methods to change the appearance of those
elements (like SetColor or Set Opacity). Let's say I wanted to take
it one step further and use VTK to do things like drawing contours
around those elements, how would I do this with IGSTK in an elegant
way?

Is it possible to change the look of the elements by simply using
GetActors() and modifying them? The problem I seem to get with this
is, that the AddActors method is protected, which means I can't
access it from where I create my SpatialObjects. Can I even apply
the changes I made?

I came up with the possibility to completely write my own
ObjectRepresentation classes and add methods that would make use of
VTK. By doing so I could access the AddActors method. But it seems
to me that this is not the most elegant way of doing things like
this, since I would have a lot of redundant code.

Thank you very much!
Sincerely, Jochen