[IGSTK-Users] State Machine Transition Tables Completeness

Andinet Enquobahrie andinet.enqu at kitware.com
Fri Feb 5 11:37:37 EST 2010

Hi Vincent-

Good observation.

One of the requirements in IGSTK is for each component to have a full
state machine transition matrix. The intention is to force component
developers to consider each and every possible state transitions and
decide how the component should behave.  If no transition method is
specified between two states, it is safe to assume that the developer
hasn't thought about that particular scenario. However, I agree with
you this is definitely a tall order.  That is why some of IGSTK
components contain state machine transition table that is not fully
populated.

If this requirement is too stringent for your purpose, you can change
the log priority type from CRITICAL to WARNING or  INFO in
SetReadyRun() method in  igstkStateMachine.txx

-Andinet

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Vincent Gratsac
<vincent.gratsac at irisa.fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I get many errors like the following one :
>>
>> (CRITICAL) In class BaseDAO Error: The Transition Table is Not Complete.
>> There is no transition for State:  ReadyState Input:
>>  AddingObjectSuccessInput
>
> This is due to the fact that there is not a transition for each input and
> each state of my state machine. I understood that creating complete
> transition table is an IGSTK requirement, but I don't understand why. Isn't
> the purpose of the state machine to only manage inputs that make sense for
> the current state ?
>
> I would like to understand the reasons of this requirement. Could someone
> explain me the IGSTK point of view ?
>
> Thank you !
>
> Vincent

Andinet Enquobahrie, Ph.D.