[IGSTK-Users] Some questions on IGSTK orientation and Views

Vincent Gratsac vincent.gratsac at irisa.fr
Thu Nov 15 03:57:21 EST 2007

Torleif Sandnes wrote:
> Hi Vincent.
>
>> - I wrote a volume reader specific to a file format that we use. The
>> volume is well parsed and the corresponding SpatialObject is created.
>> My "problem" appears when I want to display it and add it to 2D Views.
>> The ObjectRepresentation is displayed in the view, but not with the
>> orientation specified to the View ( Axial, Sagittal, Coronal ). So I
>> found that IGSTK requires volumes to be described in a specific
>> orientation in order to be well displayed.
> If I understand you correctly, you set the orientation in both the
> view and the imagespatialobjectrepresentation?
>
> Something like this:
> theView->RequestSetOrientation(AXIAL);
> theRepresentation->RequestSetOrientation(AXIAL);
> And then you don't get the orientation you expected?

That's it. I think that this is due to the fact that ImageSpatialObject
has to be oriented in a fixed orientation. Otherwise, IGSTK would not
know what is the axial, sagittal or coronal plane.
I think that the fixed orientation is "RAI" but I didn't find anything
to confirm this...

>> The orientation I found is "RAI" (1st axis : Right to Left, 2nd axis
>> : Anterior to Posterior, 3rd axis : Inferior to Superior). Is this
>> right ? Does this requirement correspond to a "standard" ?
>
> I don't know whether this is a standard or not. I think it may vary
> according to surgical procedure.
> See also:
> http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/igstk-developers/2007-August/001509.html
>

>> - The second thing I would like to discuss is the igstk::CrossHairs2D
>> object that I found in IGSTK Sandbox. I don't know if this class is
>> under development, but I really don't know how to use it, and how to
>> add it to a View. Could someone give me some clues ?
>
> The crosshairs object should be removed from the sandbox. It was an
> attempt to add a crosshair to the igstk 2d view in the overlay plane.
> It will not be further developed, and I don't think you should use it.
Thank you for your advice.

--
Vincent Gratsac
Unité/Projet VisAGeS U746

Ph:  +33 (0) 2 23 23 49 20/ Fax: +33/0 2 99 84 71 71
email: Vincent.Gratsac at irisa.fr
http://www.irisa.fr/visages/