[IGSTK-Developers] number of ports on polaris

Ziv Yaniv zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Wed Oct 24 11:42:32 EDT 2007

Hi Andinet, Luis,

Currently the number of possible ports supported by the
igstk::PolarisTracker is set to 12. I'm wondering why this specific
number. From the API specification that I have, the supported number of
ports is 255:
"The system assigns each tool a port handle. Port handles are two
characters in hexadecimal format, 0x01 to 0xFF. The two characters
replace the single character of port numbers and port letters used in
previous versions of the Polaris API, both in sending commands and
receiving replies"

If this was an arbitrary decision we should change it to 255 as part of
the refactoring.

                            thanks
                               Ziv

--
Ziv Yaniv, PhD., Research Assistant Professor
Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center

Phone: +1-202-687-7286
Fax: +1-202-784-3479
email: zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
web: http://isiswiki.georgetown.edu/zivy/