[IGSTK-Developers] Qt License

Patrick Cheng cheng at isis.georgetown.edu
Tue Mar 20 18:45:54 EDT 2007

Hi All,

Here is the summary of the email exchange with Qt licensing lawyer:
http://public.kitware.com/IGSTKWIKI/index.php/Qt_Licensing_issue

We will discuss alternative ways of dealing with the Qt license in the
next tcon.

Thank you,

Patrick

--------
I first talked to Qt sales office, and he gave me an academic discount
for about half off the installation price, but the annual maintenance
fee is still the same. That's pretty expensive.

I asked two questions about the educational license, since it's free:

    1. Will Georgetown be qualified to use the educational license?
    2. Will the educational license allow Georgetown to release the
package under our open source non-GPL license?

The answers are both "NO"

This is complicated:

     * Georgetown is the PI of the project
     * Kitware is hosting and distributing the physical code
     * Frank developed and submitted the original code
     * Insight Software Consortium has the copyright of the IGSTK code

Here are some questions:

    1. So which party should have the commercial license to release the
code?
    2. Who should have the license to be able to modify the code?
    3. What's the other option to avoid the legal dispute?