[IGSTK-Developers] "many simple specialized" components vs. "fewer, more complex and general components"

Kevin Gary kgary at asu.edu
Wed Jun 6 04:03:16 EDT 2007

Luis,

Two quick points -

I still think in #2 that it is not the product. Yes, when you compose 2
state machines the resulting permutations are the product, but in your
original example you were not describing the arbitrary composition of Sa
and Sb, you were talking about Sa and Sb being distinct with 2 different
"modalities" separated by a flag or a some if statement. In this case
you take the union, not the product in the meshed component. For
example, if states(Sa) = {s1,s2,s3} and states (Sb) = {s4, s5}, then a
SM meshed together would have an initial state (after SetReadyToRun) and
initial transitions to s1 or s4 based on the flag. Then you will be in
that space exclusively. Of course if you maintain 2 distinct components
you have to consider the product as the global state of the system,
which is what your response implies, and what an AND (orthogonal) HSM
represents.

In any event, while this belabors the point, it is important in one
sense as we move forward because the nature of IGSTK state machines
(flat, synchronous, and single-threaded)  means we can prune the global
space implied by the composition of active components in an IGSTK
instance quite aggressively (related to your #3 below).

I do agree with you that objective measures are needed, but even when
computing an objective measure you have to subjectively decide where to
set the threshold (such as the 5 bits in your earlier email). The
thresholds are often determined empirically, or in an Agile sense can be
set collectively by the group. I'd also caution against hard-and-fast
rules when it comes to complexity measures; I'd suggest the thresholds
be used to indicate a component requires a closer look, and avoid poor
refactorings simply to get a number below some bar. I'm kinda figuring
you are really saying the same thing here...

K2