[IGSTK-Developers] View refactoring- Camera control

Ziv Yaniv zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Wed Jul 11 09:39:03 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Given Frank's comments on synchronization I think we should look at a
new submission to the insight journal that describes such a framework
using VTK:
"vtkINRIA3D: A VTK Extension for Spatiotemporal Data Synchronization,
Visualization and Management",
http://www.insight-journal.org/InsightJournalManager/view_reviews.php?back=publications.php%3Fjournalid%3D8%26order%3Drating%26revision_display%3Dcombined&pubid=164

                      Ziv

P.S. When you google (feeling lucky) "insight journal" you get the
following http://www.dharma.org/ij/index.htm

Frank Lindseth wrote:
> Hi Andinet,
>
> This looks very good.
> Ideally the re-factoring of the ImageSliceRep. should be done first in
> order to see the needed functionality to display oblique slices in an
> optimal way for example, but I guess most things can be done using these
> methods.
>
> Just a little note, in our present system the surgeon can "set" the view
> in the 3D scene using a tool/pointer: The view follows the tool (or
> guide wire)  in real time, and when a good view is found the view can be
> "freezed" or saved. In order to do this (just by using the axes of the
> tool) it would be nice to have a RequestSetViewDirection too.
>
> And while talking about the view class re-factoring:
> I'm hoping that a good synchronization scheme can be build into the
> view-class (for croshair positioning for example) :
> - Synchronization between the three different views (e.g. axial, coronal
> and sagital) for a single volume.
> - Synchronization between corresponding views from different volumes.
> - Synchronization between the "2D and 3D display" of the same slice.
> - etc.
>
> Regards,
> Frank
>

> On Jul 5, 2007, at 9:02 PM, Andinet Enquobahrie wrote:
>
>> Team,
>>
>> One of the main weaknesses of the view classes is lack of camera
>> control as
>> pointed out by several people. As part of the view class refactoring
>> effort,
>> I will be adding Request methods that provide control of  some of the
>> camera
>> parameters to the user.
>>
>> I am proposing to add the following methods
>>
>> // Set camera position
>> RequestSetPosition(double x., double y, double z);
>>
>> //Set focal point coordinates
>> RequestSetFocalPoint( double x, double y, double z);
>>
>> //Set view vector up
>> RequestSetViewUp( double vx, double vy, double vz);
>>
>> //Set clipping range
>> RequestSetClippingRange( double dNear, double dFar);
>>
>> //Set parallel projection on
>> RequestSetParallelProjectionOn( );
>>
>> //Set perspective projection on
>> RequestSetPerspectiveProjectionOn()
>>
>> Let me know if you see the need to have control of
>> other parameters of the camera.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -Andinet
>>
>> --
>> Andinet A. Enquobahrie, PhD
>> R&D Engineer
>> Kitware Inc.
>>
>> 28 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>> Phone: 518-371-3971 x124
>> www.kitware.com

> ------------------------------
> Frank Lindseth
> Research Scientist (PhD)
>
> SINTEF Health Research
> Dept. Medical Technology
> N-7465 Trondheim, Norway
> Location: Olav Kyrres gt. 9, 4th floor, Trondheim

> [...]

Ziv Yaniv, PhD., Research Assistant Professor
Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center
Department of Radiology
Georgetown University Medical Center
2115 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 603
Washington, DC, 20007,