[IGSTK-Developers] some feedback on book from George Grevera and related topics

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Feb 21 13:23:54 EST 2007

Hi Kevin,

Those are great news!

Writing a text on agile methods is something that will be
of interest to Kitware. However, we may have to find the
funding for it. I would guess that NSF may be a good funding
source for such project.

It is also great to hear that Lemke's group may be interested
in using IGSTK. The current IGSTK mechanism for generating
timestamps should satisfy the requirement of a PACS system,
regarding precision, as long as the machines are using an
appropriate time server such as ntp. On the other hand, for
the purpose of compliance with 21 CFR Part 11 (electronic
records regulations), IGSTK time stamp may have to be modified
in order to be acquired from a certified source. We can look
into the details of how to interface out time stamp generation
with a certified source. We should also review how timezones
are represented in our current timestamps, a simple option is
to make all timestamps relative to UTC.

FDA guidelines on Time Stamps can be found at:
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/98fr/00d-1542_gdl0001.pdf

Getting time from a certified source involved network access
and it may be too cumbersome for making it the atomic mechanism
of acquiring time stamps. I would expect that we simply want to
synchronize with a certified source at low frequency (every hour?),
while the high frequency timestamps are still produced with the
local clock.

    Luis